Thursday, June 11, 2009

Could It Get Any Better??

The answer is....YES! A resounding YES.

For all you meat eaters out there, you must know that there are few things better than bacon. Yes, bacon. Add it to anything and it immediately tastes better. Eat it alone and it's fantastic. No seasoning involved. Just cook and eat. Perfection. Some might even argue that bacon is the best and tastiest food out there. I'm not going to argue you on that point.

But could it get better? Can bacon taste better than its original, pure form?

The answer is .... Yes! A resounding Yes.

My officemate at work has recently turned me onto a few food blogs in which we read them during the day and salivate over the pictures and recipes. Then we exchange stories about which dishes we made and how they turned out. (Just in case you're wondering, the best dish I've made so far is Chicken Tikka Masala. It was delish. Everyone loved it, including Anderson) I happened upon one recipe that was for waffles with brown sugar bacon inside. I know. That's craziness. Crazy goodness!!!

All she did was cook the bacon in the oven and sprinkle it with some brown sugar. I mentioned it to another coworker and he said that Martha Stewart also does the same thing. Hmm...so we tried it.

I put a wire rack on top of a baking sheet (probably best to line it with foil or some sort of paper - I learned this the hard way). I used a shelf from my toaster oven but I think I've seen some people using a metal cooling rack. Place the bacon on the wire rack so that when it cooks, the oil/fat drips down into the baking sheet. Sprinkle some brown sugar on top of the bacon. Pop it into the oven. Voila! Pure goodness.

I baked it at 400F until the bacon reached its desired crispiness (this is subjective because everyone likes their bacon different). Martha says it takes 30 min. at 350F. I think it took 15 min. at 400F. But again, it's up to you. You don't need that much brown sugar. Just a little sprinkle. Here is Martha's Official Brown Sugar Glazed Bacon. And here's the Brown Sugar Bacon Waffles.

Enjoy!

Let me know if you tried this and what you think.

No comments: