Thursday, November 6, 2008

Grace

There have been numerous times when Wilson and I look over at Anderson and say "Can you believe we have a baby? Can you believe we made him?!" Life. It's truly amazing. It's truly amazing that we can create life. That a year ago, he didn't even exist, and now here he is. A beautiful, happy, healthy bouncing baby boy.

It's unfortunate that it sometimes takes a tragedy to make you realize how lucky you are to have the life that you have. That these gifts that are given to you in life are gifts. We take so many things for granted - our health, health of our family, friends, and children.

Tuesday was a sad day for me. A friend, Heather, lost her baby at 38 weeks due to a cord accident. The cord had wrapped itself around the leg of her daughter, Grace, that cut off circulation to the rest of her body. To say this is an unspeakable tragedy is an understatement to say the least. I am utterly heartbroken for her and her husband. Even more so because the fact that she was even pregnant was a miracle in itself. Due to fertility problems, they were told by countless doctors that it would be next to impossible for them to become pregnant on their own. And yet they did.

I cannot begin to imagine the heartache and pain they feel. I would not know how to get through the next day or even breathe if such a tragic thing like that happened to me. Luckily, she is a strong woman, surrounded by lots of friends and family, and a strong faith in God that is helping her get through this difficult time.

I share this story only because it is stories like these that put life into perspective. Again, it is unfortunate that tragedy forces us to take pause and look at our life in a different light. I think I held my baby for half of the day when I first learned of this news. I am so thankful that he is healthy and that I am able to hold him and see him grow and learn each day. It's times like these that you realize just how fragile and precious life is. I share this story so that you too can take pause and realize how blessed you are to have the people around you.

No comments: