Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Bite

It happened on Monday. I received a call from the daycare's principal at around 3:30pm. Right away, she informed me that this was not an emergency. Anderson is fine. But he's been involved in an incident. Okay......What kind of incident? Well, another child bit him on the cheek. What?! The skin didn't break and there is no blood. We washed the bite area very well and now they have some ice on his cheek. Is he okay? He's calmed down quite a bit since it was time for his bottle anyway. He seems pretty upset about the ice though.

So what happened?

According to his teachers, an older girl (but still under one since they are in the infant class) was trying to give Anderson a kiss on the cheek but ended up biting him instead. Secretly, I was smiling because it sounded like a really cute story. All the best intentions, but the plan wasn't executed well. Plus, I thought How hard could a little baby bite? Uhhh....hard.

I called Wilson and alerted him of the situation but since he had a conference call he couldn't pick up Anderson quite yet. Plus, they assured me that he was doing well and didn't need to be picked up immediately.

I get home and right away Wilson said, it's worse than we originally thought it would be. But he seems okay. I see my little boy smiling and walk around to see his left cheek. And there it is. The bite. This little girl CHOMPED on my son's perfect little cheek. I can even count how many teeth there are (4 on top, 2 on the bottom). And 2 days later, it's STILL there. We've put neosporin on it to help heal. It has helped, but it's definitely still there. Luckily, he has no recollection of it and it's sad to think that his first kiss went so awry. But like grandma said "It's because he is too cute. I'm sure he'll get many more kisses."

Later that night, I was trying to bite down on my arm to see how hard this girl had to bite to make that mark. I couldn't do it. All my bites went away after 5-10 minutes. The next day, I told Anderson that it was okay to do whatever he felt was necessary to keep that girl at bay. Push her, shove her, slap her. Mommy will back you up if you get called into the principal's office. You were provoked! She was coming at you with those chompers again going for the other cheek!

So here's the bite. It's not a very good picture but you can see it here.


No comments: