Friday, March 26, 2010

Crayon Roll

Just want I need. Another project. As though I don't have enough to do around here.

By the way, we have been busy and have actually completed quite a number of projects. Twin bed - done and put into Anderson's room! In fact, he's been sleeping on his new bed since Sunday night. New twin duvet for Anderson - done! Name/Alphabet art - done and printed! (Just need to frame) Butterfly art - done and framed! Just need to take pictures of all these to show the world.

Anyway, we are on our way to Chicago to visit my parents in two weeks and I'm already thinking about how to entertain the little guy on the 4 hour flight. I used to think traveling with an infant was hard. Now I know that it's a piece of cake. Have them fall asleep right before the flight and you're golden. A toddler on the other hand, now that's difficult. They don't understand the concept of sitting still and not running around everywhere. Oh, and they throw tantrums or start to cry when they don't get their way. Fun times. Really fun times.

One of the things Anderon loves to do is art. Whether it be playing with play-doh, coloring with crayons or dot paint, he loves it. Quite the artistic little man. We even hang up his dot paint art on our living room wall (which is completely devoid of any artwork) and he stands in front of them in awe. Says "Wow! So pretty! Anderson did it!" One obvious form or entertainment then would be to bring some crayons and paper/coloring book. Easy enough. Then I remember a friend showing me some crayon rolls on etsy that she was going to get for her nieces and nephews for Christmas. I ventured over there, looked at them. They are all super cute with great fabrics. But I started thinking.....geez, that looks really easy to make. (I also suppose I'm coming off my high at my lovely twin duvet I made for Anderson, thinking I'm a great seamstress!) I then googled "Crayon roll tutorial" and sure enough. It is easy to make! So, I'm going to take a crack at it. Hopefully I'll be able to find a few pieces of cute fabric this weekend and in the words of the great Tim Gunn "Make it work!"



If this does work out, then I suspect that many of Anderson's friends will be getting these as gifts in the near future :)

No comments: