Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Finished Projects!

I did have some time last night to take pictures of some of our finished projects. These projects were really easy to do.

First, the crayon roll: After spending over an hour in line at Joann's to have fabric cut (yes! over an hour), it took less than that to cut and sew this little baby which I am quite proud of. It was actually really easy to do once I figured it out. I followed a tuturial I found online and made slight changes according to ones I had seen on etsy that I liked and voila! A crayon roll that holds 16 crayons!








Next up is the scrapbook cutout art project. Previously, I showed this as small little hearts. I wasn't feeling the hearts too much and looked through the stencils we did have that came with Anderson's packet of construction paper. It was either a bird or butterfly. Wilson voted for butterfly. I took a look at the scrapbook paper I had on hand leftover from Anderson's birthday and started cutting out shapes while watching TV. I bought some pale pink scrapbook paper at Michaels along with this frame and mat and voila! Art for the little girl. It isn't perfect but it's not too bad either. It's something for the walls.
Oh, and let's talk about these frames. What did we do before blogs? Seriously. I found out about these frames from Michaels through one of my blogs I follow (Little Green Notebook). She's an actual interior designer and she mentioned these frames she buys at Michaels that come in a double pack that were really cheap. Then she buys a mat and it looks great. "Really cheap" is a relative term, especially when it comes to interior designers. They think $40 a yard for fabric is not a bad price. I think $10 a yard is at the top end of my budget. So imagine my surprise when I go to Michaels and check out these "really cheap" frames and they are $7 for 2 11x14 frames!! I go over to the mat section and select a simple white mat for $3.50. So, for this whole project, I spent a little over $8 including taxes. And I will definitely be getting those frames again. I think they also come in black. And I imagine that you could spray paint the white ones whatever color you wanted.


Okay, next up is the Name/Alphabet art that I showed you all a mock-up for. I was lazy and decided to just get it printed up at work on our color laser printer. I brought in some cardstock from home, printed it up and popped it into the other Michaels frame with a mat. And here it is! I tried to take a semi-artistic picture of it just like the people on etsy. If you look closely at the printing, you can see it's not great but I just wanted to see what it will look like. And for right now, it doesn't look too bad. When I get the time, I'll actually get it printed and it'll look a whole lot better. I could probably blow it up a little and pop it into an Ikea frame.


No comments: