Monday, March 1, 2010

Weekend Accomplishments

The bed is done! It's done! After working a few hours on Saturday and a few hours on Sunday, Wilson was able to finish up building the bed for Anderson. All that is left is priming and painting (and final assembly in the room). I haven't gotten around to posting pictures yet but you'll have to trust me that it looks good. I actually added time onto Wilson's building time when I popped into the garage on Saturday afternoon to see the progress and noted that the headboard seemed a little too high. We measured it and found it to be 57 ". I then looked up the Pottery Barn Kids bed that was similar and it was only 47" tall! Ten inch difference! The footboard also looked a little low, but there was nothing we could do about that nor did it really bother us. But after hemming and hawing, we both decided that a slightly shorter headboard would look better and less towering. So Wilson had to saw off 5" off the bottom of the headboard. I'm so glad he did because now it looks much better and much more proportional.

We also hit HomeGoods this weekend and found a sheet set that we thought would make a nice duvet for Anderson. I like the idea of a duvet because it gets really hot here in the summer and to have a comforter is just too much. So the thought of switching between a lightweight quilt/blanket in the summer and a down (or down alternative) comforter in the winter is a very appealing option. This is what I have for our bed now and it's so nice to not have to sleep under a heavy down comforter in the summer. I'll try to take pics of the sheets tonight and post it tomorrow.

We also went to look at some armchairs from craigslist. I've become addicted to home decorating blogs and am amazed at what people find on craisglist and then either painting them, refurbishing them, or reupholstering them. So, I've been on the hunt for some new armchairs (amongst other things) and came across these really hideous crushed orange velvet armchairs that a woman was willing to give me a good deal on. As long as they are comfy and had good lines, I really thought I'd be able to reupholster it myself. But we went there and it was a no go. Still hasn't stopped me from scouring craigslist every couple of hours though! I'm obsessed!

I also wish there was a feature here on blogspot that would allow me to answer/comment back on comments that you leave me. Someone commented about the basketweave tile floor, wondering if it would be a nightmare for cleaning. With all that grouting, possibly. But, since there usually isn't too much water on the floor, I think regular cleaning would be just fine and not much different from regular times. Now, if it were in the shower where there is water and mold build-up all the time, THAT would be a complete nightmare.

I actually left a comment on the blog, asking specifically what kind of tile it was. I don't think she's answered back yet, but I went through her house tour on Apartment Therapy and she gave a list of what she did for each room. And it is in fact a basketweave tile. More specifically marble basketweave ming dot. You know what that means? $$$$ I quickly looked it up and the cheapest I could find it for was $10 a square foot. That's code for $10 a tile (they come in a 12"x12" mesh backing sheet). That's a lot people. I'll keep scouring for deals but it looks like it is WAY out of my price range. I don't even need marble, although it is oh so pretty. I'll settle for ceramic if it has some nice shading and faux-marbling in it! I found some plain white basketweave ceramic for $5 but I don't know if I like the plain white.

No comments: