Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Project: Farmhouse Bed Part I

Just so you know, I'm not the only one in this house working on getting the kids' rooms ready. Wilson is also hard at work. Literally. Have you all heard of the Knock Off Wood? If not, you need to go. She provides plans on how to build knock off versions of furniture, mostly from Pottery Barn and a fraction of the cost! So when I saw plans for this twin sized farmhouse bed, I brought it to Wilson, hoping and praying he'd want to take on this project. After all, he's the one who would have to build it. Here is what it looks like (in queen size form):

Plans and sketch for the twin size bed:


And we're planning on painting it a navy blue to look like this Pottery Barn Kids Bed which is currently on sale for $599!

I promised Wilson that I wouldn't post any pictures of the process until it was all finished AND it looked good. He's currently halfway done with the headboard and footboard and we're keeping track of how much money we're spending on materials to compare it to the Pottery Barn Bed. So far, it's a lot cheaper :)

I've been sneaking into the garage at various intervals of the building process, taking pics to document everything. I cannot wait to see how this turns out. And according to Wilson, the plans are very easy to follow. If this turns out, there are going to be a lot more projects for him in the future!

2 comments:

AKY said...

ive got to look through that site. If i had the proper tools, i would make all my furniture

evon said...

Don't forget to track the hours spent on the project. That is cost too.